Next Hypnobabies Session Starts June 4th!

Sophie’s Birth Story

Birth Story of Sophie, written by her Hypno-mom, Jessica:

Here is the BEST Hypnobabies birth story ever! At least I feel like it is and that is what matters.

Early Thursday morning (July 21st), I had a handful of pressure waves that felt like they might be “real” ones.  I practiced my finger-drop technique, center switch, “Peace”, and it was so fun!  Then they disappeared and I fell asleep.  Some more pressure waves woke me up a couple hours later and I did the same thing and just enjoyed it.  They were just the very beginning of my birthing experience.

Then it was time to get up and do my usual daily things with the kids, house work and everything else a Mom of five does.  So, I stayed busy.  I felt a lot of pressure all day, but I honestly didn’t think much of it. I took the kids to their different activities, helped them with some weeding, got the house in good order, made a few meals, and sat down for minute to a nice big salad just before sending my husband off to work at 2:15 P.M.  He was asking me all day how I was feeling and I told him I knew the baby’s birth was COMING, but I didn’t think it would be today.  I thought at the soonest, maybe early tomorrow.  He was adamant that I have the number handy to get a hold of him at work.  I told him I wouldn’t need it, but I got it anyway.  He gets home from work about 11:45 P.M. each night which I thought gave us plenty of time before the baby came.

He left and I finished my salad and had just a moment to myself after the kids had finished their food and run off to play.  I felt the pressure again and realized it was maybe more than I had been thinking it was.  I went upstairs to tell my Mom that I was going to go in my bedroom and focus on my body to see if I might be in labor. I got to my room and my midwife called me.  She wanted to let me know she would be unreachable for a bit.  I told her I MIGHT be in labor, but I hadn’t had a chance to time any pressure waves yet to determine how serious the labor might be.  She asked if she should hurry and I told her that I was SURE she would be fine.

I timed one pressure wave and then was interrupted by my children needing me to take care of them.  So, at about 4:00 P.M., I got back to my room to time them again.  I started out on my birthing ball with the Relaxation Music playing in the background and listening to the Birth Guide First Stage CD onheadphones.  The pressure waves ranged anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes apart and lasting 30 seconds to 1 ½ minutes long.  So, not super consistent, but REAL! I was having fun trying lots of different positions, reminding myself to go potty, drinking my red raspberry leaf tea, and really focusing on the Birth Guide First Stage CD. The CD was AWESOME.  It really kept me focused and relaxed.  So much so, that the time was just cruising by without me really thinking about it. All of a sudden it was 5:15 P.M. and things were pretty intense.  I really needed to stay focused during the pressure waves to stay on top of things and NO ONE knew I was in labor.  OOPS!  I had been having too much fun by myself.

My oldest daughter, Kortney, came down to check on me and I told her a few things I needed her to do and that I was in labor.  She was beside herself with excitement!  I knew my husband would be calling soon at his first break at 5:30 P.M. and decided to wait until then to tell him.  Luckily Kortney was in the room with me when he called because I was having a pressure wave and FOCUSED and wasn’t about to answer the phone.  I turned my switch to center to talk to him and told him what was going on and that he should just come home now.  He was quite surprised.  Then I called my midwife and told her what was happening and she still had to travel from American Fork to her house in Springville to get all of her things and back to my house in Orem.  So, the race was on!

My husband got home around 6:15 P.M. and it was just him and me working through these waves.  They were intense, but I was so focused that no one could tell.  He kept himself busy trying to get the room ready for the midwife and the birth and keeping track of the other kids.  By this time I had chosen to lay on my left side on my bed with pillows.  Then at about 7:30 P.M. my Mom came down to check on us and this is when the pressure waves were pretty much right on top of each other. No break in between.  My mom knew that that meant business!

I started shaking during the contractions and I told my husband I needed him to put a firm hand on my shoulder and a firm hand on my leg to try to help hold me still.  It did help a lot!  I knew the baby was coming very soon, but I was so much focused that I didn’t vocalize this.  My Mom realized it too and I was still fully dressed!  You can’t have a baby with pants on.  So, my Mom and husband worked on my clothes while I tried to keep relaxed.  Still no midwife, but I wasn’t concerned at all.  I knew she would be there when I needed her.  I had a BIG pressure wave and felt the baby really move down and realized that is usually the pressure wave that I use to push the baby out.  This time my goal was to do things much more gently and in control.  So, I breathed through it.  All this time I had been using the “PEACE” to breathe the anesthesia to where I needed it and it WORKED!  Another pressure wave and I knew the
baby was right there.  I checked and I could feel the baby’s head.

I layed down and heard my midwife come in.  She ran straight to the bathroom to wash her hands.  I felt another pressure wave come and the urge to push was uncontrollable.  The plan all along had been for me to deliver my own baby, so things were going as planned.  I reached down and the head crowned and I breathed the head out.  Such an amazing experience!  I layed back down and I heard my midwife come in.  I had another pressure wave and I pushed the body out.  The baby was a GIRL!  I picked her up and she had been born “in caul” (in the sac).  The midwife took it off, wiped her face and the tiny girl cried.

Another wonderful birth miracle! She weighed 6 lbs. 2 oz. and 19” long. My tiniest baby by 9 oz., but healthy and strong!  Hypnobabies techniques and tools made this birth experience just as wonderful as I had hoped!

Leave a Reply